The 50 Worst and/or Most Overrated Movies Ever
1. The Godfather III (1990)
2. The Passion of the Christ (2004) This certainly isn't a bad movie or poorly
made in any way, but I would insist to you that it is the most overrated movie of the past decade or more. It is, as some
have called it, The Jesus Chainsaw Massacre. This is a snuff film with the patina of religiosity applied to it ---and
I am convinced that its cachet among the Christian community is already quite faded ---at least privately. No healthy
person would willingly watch this thing a second time; not just because of its extreme and unbearable violence, but because,
as my brother Jentry pointed out, it doesn't teach you anything good about the life of the Christ. There's no redemption
in watching a man being brutalized. Thus has it ever been.
3. Americathon (1979) I saw part of this with my mother, aunt,
and cousins at a theater in Waco before we left and asked for our money back. I don't know why they thought it would be funny,
but it may have just been too racy for us ten year-olds. R.I.P. John Ritter.
4. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986) I don't know why, exactly,
but I despise this movie. I could never identify with rich, spoiled brats. Plus, I hate to see the undeserving win. Oh, and
Matthew Broderick is a murderer.
5. Badge 373 (1973) This is that thing Robert Duvall
made right after the first Godfather movie. What a stinker! It has several different sub-plots going all at once and it just
6. Funny Farm (1988) I saw this with my little brother when it came out. I don't
know why we went. It's an awful movie. Jentry said I called it Shit Farm and that must be right. Chevy Chase can
really suck sometimes.
7. A Fish Called Wanda (1988) This movie is one long exercise in humorless cruelty
and assholishness. Can't stand it. Maybe it was because I was embarrassed to be seeing it with my Momma, but still! Want a
reason to really dislike John Cleese? Here's your answer.
8. The Big Lebowski (1998) I'm including this movie because it will piss off my
friends. They think it's a fucking masterpiece. I think it's maybe okay, but unquestionably overrated. I love the Coen Brothers
as much as anybody, but this simply isn't one of their best. Deal with it. And then go buy Raising Arizona or Fargo.
9. Mooseport (2004) This is something I tried to watch recently. What an enormous
turd of a movie. Is the self-centered titty-baby comedian fad over yet?
10. Forrest Gump (199-)